Tuesday, January 6, 2009

One of three choices

So either my ophthalmologist really likes me, really likes my money, or really is worried and wants to make sure I am okay.   Whatever the reason, I see her more that I see my family.

About 1 and a half months ago, I started having some serious issues with my eye.  I was super sensitive to light, it always felt like there was something in it, and I noticed a cloudy area when I looked in the mirror.  I called and made an appointment with the first doctor who could get me in immediately.   I was very lucky because Dr. Smith was able to see me within a couple of days.  I went in and she looked at my eye and it was obvious she was more than a little concerned.  As we discussed the problems I had been having she explained that I had some how managed to scratch my cornea and it had become infected.  Where it was located if we didn't get the infection under control, I could lose my sight in that eye.  So she gave me some antibiotic drops and made and appointment for 3 days later.  She also gave me her cell number so if anything changed, I could get a hold of her.  That was on friday.  Three days later I go in and there is no change so she added an ointment that I have to put in before I go to bed each night and made an appointment for two days later.  Two days later at the check-up there has still been no change so she added an anti-viral pill that I have to take 5 TIMES A DAY!! What a pain!  Two days later I am back for a check-up.  It is still not getting better but it is not worse either so that is a good sign!  She upped the times per day I had to use the ointment and added another round of anti-viral so I would take it for 17 days instead of just 7.  I went in 2 days before Christmas and still no improvement so she referred me to the cornea specialist.  Luckily however, she talked to the specialist and they decided to just start me on steroids to see if that will help.  I went back the monday after Christmas and there was a little improvement.  Hooray!  Now I get to go 2 whole weeks without seeing her!  The bad news is that I am probably going to be on anti-viral medication for an extended period of time and there is a high probability that this infection will recur so it will mean check ups every 3-6 months to make sure we catch it before it does any more damage than the scar that will be left when this whole thing is done.

Makes me wonder, is being blind in one eye really so bad?

No comments: